Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My Sylvester

(Courtesy of Loonipedia)

 Boxer's apprentice (mom) here:

I never know whether I should apologize or give a reason for being away from the blog.  Mainly I had some health issues I am dealing with that sort of took over for a while.  It gave me some time to think and for the gratitude I have for Boxer and Princess Leia, thinking back to when I got them and how they fulfilled a childhood dream when it came to cats.

As I kid I always loved Sylvester from the Looney Tunes cartoons.  His black and white looking tux was just what I always wanted in cat.  When my first cat Sparky died, I wasn't thinking of getting my dream cat, instead I was just trying to fill the big empty hole he left when he passed.  I just happened to pick up the paper and look under the pet section 22 days after Sparky's death when I came across an ad for free kittens.  I took a chance and called, "just to see," and there was a black and white male kitten available.  My heart soared.  Even though I wasn't thinking this was my dream cat, I rushed over to have a look at this adorable kitten.

And there he was, all black, with white paws, belly and snout.  All that was missing was the white tip on the
tail.  I was scared, Sparky's death still hung heavy with grief, yet here was a new life in front of me that made me want to jump for joy.  This little devil of a kitten was made me.  I'd been dreaming of him from as far back as I could remember and there he was in front of me, just waiting for me to take him home.

We had a bit of a rocky start, it was so tough between grieving for Sparky and this wild child named Boxer, but over the years we have managed to work it out.  And I will be forever grateful to have the Sylvester I have always wanted, with the name of Boxer.

Sylvester ain't got nothing on me!


Next post I will share how Princess Leia completed the childhood fantasy.  :)

3 comments:

Molly The Wally said...

We can see the similarity. Boxer looks like a little bundle of fun. Have a terrific Tuesday.
Best wishes Molly

Kitties Blue said...

You sound like our mom. When one of the kitties goes to the bridge, she gets this big gaping hole in her heart that can only be filled by another kitty even if she is still grieving for the lost one. Your Boxer is so handsome. Glad you took a chance and gave him a home. Purrs and hugs from the kitties at The Cat on My Head, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Josette

www.grandmasmad3ringcircus.com said...

This was the first time I saw your blog.
It's priceless!